I have only known Rachel’s grandpa for the 4 years I have known Rachel. We would try to visit him when we were up in Salt Lake as often as possible. Every time we would go to his house I would have to explain who I was, where I lived, what I was doing and the fact that I had married his “little Rachel”. It was fun to talk to him though. He was so genuine and sweet and would try his best to remember who you were. He was never slow with a joke and made me laugh every time we saw him. More than that though I loved how much Rachel loved him. She loved how sweet he was, and how gentle and charming he could be just sitting in his recliner, barely able to breath on his own. He would compliment her all the time and tell her how beautiful she was. They would talk for a little while hand in hand and Rach would look so happy. We both knew that he might not remember exactly what went on but she was convinced that it made him happier and I’m sure she was right. I think he reminded her of her own father and the wonderful man that he is. She was so curious about his life and would read anything that she could find from his past. One day when we were up in Midway she found a box of his old stuff and spent the next several hours reading everything in there from journal entries to the backs of pictures, a smile on her face the whole time. He was a great man and I enjoyed getting to know Grandpa Keith during the last few years of his life. I only wish I could have met him earlier on. We will miss you.

1 comment:
<3 <3 <3
That was really nice of you to leave that little tribute to Grandpa Keith even though you couldn't be with us at the funeral, Spencer. We missed you there and Rach was strong, but I myself really leaned on Zach's support that weekend and couldn't imagine how it was for Rach to do it without her other half. Must be even harder for you to know it's all going on and be out there on the other side of the world all alone. Sending happy and anti-lonely thoughts your way. :) I am sure Rach really appreciated such a heartfelt post about Grandpa...now you'll just have to sit and watch that 2 hour documentary of his life we all watched once you get home. A little long, but super entertaining and definitely worth it when you get to cutie cute cute little baby Rachi at the end. We all miss you! (This is from Zach and Jana equally...though Zach would have preffered me to insert more missing his guy-crush things.)
Post a Comment