


This past week I had to say goodbye to room 5011 of the Ariana Hotel. My time there was peaceful and lasted quite a bit longer than I expected. Now, because change is one of the only things in life that is consistent, I must move on to a new home and a new location. At the beginning of last week I moved in with a TaeguTec employee and will stay there for the rest of the summer.
My new roomy is named Kim Myung Soo (or Alex) and I think he is in his mid 30’s. He is living the bachelor life and just moved into a posh three-bedroom apartment so TaeguTec offered me up to him because he definitely has the space. I guess he had been living in the company dormitories for the last several years and is now making the transition to his own place. He moved in for the first time two days before I did so he is still in the process of getting all of his “stuff”. I told him to get married just so he can obtain things like a blender, silverware, plates, maybe a couch, an iron and/or ironing board, hangers, perhaps a couple beds…oh wait, the majority of Koreans sleep on the floor and don’t own a mattress whatsoever. Which means for the next two months I am back to sleeping on the floor. At least on my mission they gave us each a big pad to sleep on. Here it is literally my body, two blankets and then floor. My hips have definitely felt the hard floor the last few days but my back actually feels much better after a night on the hardwood than when I sleep on any mattress. It’s different but I enjoy living the Korean lifestyle, even if it is just a couple of months.
Alex's place is crazy nice compared to most Korean apartments. It was just remodeled and looks brand new. I really thought that it might be annoying having a roommate but this situation has worked out quite nicely. We are now currently bff’s and do almost everything together. Ok, maybe that’s a lie. We travel to and from work together, go to eat every once in awhile and maybe chill in the evenings some time but for the most part I do my thing and he does his. Just how I like it. Living in a hotel had its perks. I never had to make my bed, the room was always clean, fresh towels, had my own space but it gets pretty lonely after awhile. Even me, the ultimate loner, got sick of myself. I never thought I would be the one to seek out social interaction but after living in a room by myself, in a country where I am the clear minority, I found myself jumping at the chance to have a conversation with someone. So, goodbye Hotel Ariana and hello normalcy (at least to a certain degree).




1 comment:
F A N C Y!! I had no idea!!
Post a Comment