Hello... my name is Spencer... and I have a problem. I love sports. At the moment it's baseball but it doesn't matter what season it is, i've got a fever... and the only prescription is more cowbell (insert sports). To borrow a line from one of my all time favorite movies Fever Pitch, "I... am a Red Sox fan (insert Giants)"... "No no no no... I... am like a big... Red Sox fan (insert Giants)". I love the San Francisco Giants and I blame the Taylor family who have increased an already addictive passion to an all time high. I have some very fond memories of watching the Giants at Spring Training, AT&T Park or on TV, especially this past year as they won the World Series. As many of you know I currently reside in South Korea. What many of you probably don't know is that I do not have access to sports. Key the loud DUH DUH DUH sound effect and now the camera zooms in on my devastated face. I have no way of accessing my beloved Giants this summer one, because I am at work in the day here which is night in America and most games are at night. Two, my computer at work does not have the capability to even watch the gamecast, which for those of you who don't know is an application that ESPN or MLB.com offers that gives a pitch by pitch update of the game without showing the live broadcast (I would even settle for that and find myself in front of a computer screen following along on the weekends using gamecast, wait wait it gets worse). Three, no radio (even if I did there's no way I'm pulling in an American station let alone the one that the Giants are on). So... I result... to this ... Every Major League baseball game is put on ESPN's main page. From there you can access each individual game and they show you an updated box score, a play by play tracking of the game (which on a good day when the internet is solid you can follow it pitch by pitch, but that's on a good day), and at the end of the game you can find a write-up summarizing the game. You can also find a message board that fans of both teams as well as anyone who wants to weigh in on the game can go on the board and right there comments about the game. Trust me, there is quite the crowd on these message boards and I count my lucky stars every day that they only have avatars for their picture profiles rather than their actual faces because I can only imagine what some of these people are like with some of the comments that go down on the board. I have found a system (that I am not proud of) where I can follow the game by reading what the fan board says, looking at the play-by-play chart and following on Twitter (I follow many of the Giants reporting staff who give fairly in-depth commentary as the game is going, I know #getalife). So while my father-in-law is taking my two nephews to the game at AT&T Park, front row behind the bull pen mind you, I am scrambling between Twitter and ESPN avoiding the mindless Trolls (name that has been designated for people who enter message boards just to frustrate people and have no interest in the actual teams) and hoping that the people who have just as sad of life as I do who are watching the game while posting on a message board simultaneously, talk in detail about each play. I then go back most nights and watch the highlights on the Giants website win or lose. I've been there for Pablo's 22 game hit streak, several extra inning contests, Ryan Vogelsong's epic turn around season and now Brandon Belt coming back from the minor leagues and hitting a homer his first at bat and an RBI double to beat the pesky Dodgers tonight. I don't follow every second because I do have to get some work done but for the most part I am able to follow the game enough to know what is going on and I'm really not proud of this one... but when I know there is a pressure situation, like tonight when the bases were loaded and Belt came up in the 7th in a tie ball game and knocked in the go ahead runs, I sat at my computer with that nervous feeling you get in your stomach waiting for one of the boys to type something like "Belt, YEAHHH!!!!" or "Belt hits a double, 5-3 Giants" or "NOOOO" with a slur of expletives from a Dodgers fan that show up as *#$*@&# on the screen because dangit, ESPN is classy and they try to limit the profanity, which I approve of. It's a circus on those boards and sometimes I laugh out loud reading the banter between each other. People just look at me funny and probably think "crazy American" but you do what you gotta do. Go Giants!!! You can follow me on Twitter if you want to know how the game is going, I respond accordingly @SpenceOrr. Good thing I won't be here for the NBA season, if the lockout ever ends. The Jazz would be a little tougher to follow on a chat board. Hello... my name is Spencer... and I have a problem.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
There- 10:30 PM
Hello... my name is Spencer... and I have a problem. I love sports. At the moment it's baseball but it doesn't matter what season it is, i've got a fever... and the only prescription is more cowbell (insert sports). To borrow a line from one of my all time favorite movies Fever Pitch, "I... am a Red Sox fan (insert Giants)"... "No no no no... I... am like a big... Red Sox fan (insert Giants)". I love the San Francisco Giants and I blame the Taylor family who have increased an already addictive passion to an all time high. I have some very fond memories of watching the Giants at Spring Training, AT&T Park or on TV, especially this past year as they won the World Series. As many of you know I currently reside in South Korea. What many of you probably don't know is that I do not have access to sports. Key the loud DUH DUH DUH sound effect and now the camera zooms in on my devastated face. I have no way of accessing my beloved Giants this summer one, because I am at work in the day here which is night in America and most games are at night. Two, my computer at work does not have the capability to even watch the gamecast, which for those of you who don't know is an application that ESPN or MLB.com offers that gives a pitch by pitch update of the game without showing the live broadcast (I would even settle for that and find myself in front of a computer screen following along on the weekends using gamecast, wait wait it gets worse). Three, no radio (even if I did there's no way I'm pulling in an American station let alone the one that the Giants are on). So... I result... to this ... Every Major League baseball game is put on ESPN's main page. From there you can access each individual game and they show you an updated box score, a play by play tracking of the game (which on a good day when the internet is solid you can follow it pitch by pitch, but that's on a good day), and at the end of the game you can find a write-up summarizing the game. You can also find a message board that fans of both teams as well as anyone who wants to weigh in on the game can go on the board and right there comments about the game. Trust me, there is quite the crowd on these message boards and I count my lucky stars every day that they only have avatars for their picture profiles rather than their actual faces because I can only imagine what some of these people are like with some of the comments that go down on the board. I have found a system (that I am not proud of) where I can follow the game by reading what the fan board says, looking at the play-by-play chart and following on Twitter (I follow many of the Giants reporting staff who give fairly in-depth commentary as the game is going, I know #getalife). So while my father-in-law is taking my two nephews to the game at AT&T Park, front row behind the bull pen mind you, I am scrambling between Twitter and ESPN avoiding the mindless Trolls (name that has been designated for people who enter message boards just to frustrate people and have no interest in the actual teams) and hoping that the people who have just as sad of life as I do who are watching the game while posting on a message board simultaneously, talk in detail about each play. I then go back most nights and watch the highlights on the Giants website win or lose. I've been there for Pablo's 22 game hit streak, several extra inning contests, Ryan Vogelsong's epic turn around season and now Brandon Belt coming back from the minor leagues and hitting a homer his first at bat and an RBI double to beat the pesky Dodgers tonight. I don't follow every second because I do have to get some work done but for the most part I am able to follow the game enough to know what is going on and I'm really not proud of this one... but when I know there is a pressure situation, like tonight when the bases were loaded and Belt came up in the 7th in a tie ball game and knocked in the go ahead runs, I sat at my computer with that nervous feeling you get in your stomach waiting for one of the boys to type something like "Belt, YEAHHH!!!!" or "Belt hits a double, 5-3 Giants" or "NOOOO" with a slur of expletives from a Dodgers fan that show up as *#$*@&# on the screen because dangit, ESPN is classy and they try to limit the profanity, which I approve of. It's a circus on those boards and sometimes I laugh out loud reading the banter between each other. People just look at me funny and probably think "crazy American" but you do what you gotta do. Go Giants!!! You can follow me on Twitter if you want to know how the game is going, I respond accordingly @SpenceOrr. Good thing I won't be here for the NBA season, if the lockout ever ends. The Jazz would be a little tougher to follow on a chat board. Hello... my name is Spencer... and I have a problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i love that you are rach love the SF giants... bc that ensures me that you guys will visit us multiple times over the next three years right???
I had to do the same thing for the NBA playoffs while I was in London. I feel your pain. Highlights and recaps are good and all, but it still hurts your soul to know you're missing out.
Hello Spencer...I'm Rachel and I'm sorry for creating/feeding your problem <3
Post a Comment