Tuesday, July 5, 2011

There- 8:30 PM

4th of July


Being in Korea for the fourth meant that there would be no red, white and blue colors anywhere, no parades, no fireworks, no bbq’s, no watermelon (ok some watermelon), no family and friends, no (insert 4th of July tradition here), and certainly no day off of work. So, do you what I did? That’s right, I traveled back to America. Well not quite, I actually traveled to the closest thing to America I could fine, the local U.S. military base here in Daegu, Camp Walker, a.k.a. “little America”. The branch that I go to church at is made up mostly of American soldiers and their families so the branch president had everyone over to his house for a little bbq and firework watching.


At promptly 1800 hours I met President Hugo at the main gate and he signed me on to the base. I had been on military bases in Korea while I was here on a mission, Camp Humphries in Seoul and the Osan Air Force Base so it wasn’t a shock to go from being surrounded by smaller, black haired Koreans to much larger, meaner looking Americans in a matter of minutes. It’s always weird to be in Korea and yet feel like you are right back at home with houses that have green grass, bigger cars, American fast food restaurants, and a melting pot of races.


It was a great evening. I mingled (I know, I mingled), more out of necessity than desire, met some people in the branch, enjoyed hamburgers, hot dogs, Mormon desserts, hundreds of different kinds of salads, and much more. As it got dark we all went into the back yard and watched the firework display. The military is definitely well equipped with loud, bright explosives and put on quite the show almost directly over the top of us. It was really cool and it felt like I was right back at home.


Afterwards I was signed out, walked back through the gates and it seriously felt like I had just walked through the wardrobe from Narnia. Back to Korea and back to the grind. It was a great opportunity for me though. It was awesome to spend the day in which we honor our great nation with the men and women whose responsibility it is to protect it. Another shout out to all of the wonderful people at Camp Walker as well as the rest of the soldiers around the world. Thank you.


“Happy 4th America! putting up wins since 1776.”

- Brian Wilson, pitcher, World Champion San Francisco Giants via Twitter






The movie is kind of long, it's just a small portion of

the firework show. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you were celebrating the 4th along with us. We all wondered what you were doing and with whom.
You are thought of daily and are glad you are being watched over.G