Thursday, June 9, 2011

Korea Part IV

If you are reading this for the first time, scroll down and read from the beginning. It is a continuous story and it starts with other side of the world, other side of the family.


From what I have heard TaeguTec resembles the campus of Google. Much like Google, TaeguTec has attempted to create an atmosphere within its company where the employees feel warm and welcome. They promote friendship by feeding employees three meals a day at specific times where you eat with your coworkers and are able to socialize with them. The internet is turned off during lunch to promote employees to get off their butts and move around. There are several buildings much life a college campus that compose TaeguTec. I was looking at a map of the new factories that they are building and there are currently 58 different buildings, none are very tall but it spreads across several acres of land. TaeguTec is located just outside of downtown Daegu. It is surrounded by green mountains and is quite beautiful. I really like the company and going to work is quite pleasant actually.


After I was taken around the grounds a little bit I was taken to my hotel where I will be staying until the end of June. The Hotel Ariana is small and cosy and will do me quite nice for a few weeks. In front of the hotel a bus picks me up for work every day and drops me off at the end. There are 4 company buses that take different routes throughout Daegu picking up and dropping off the members of the company. Another perk of this family oriented company.



My hotel/home for a month

The bus stop in front of my building at work

After I dropped my stuff off we went back to work where we ate lunch and then I was trained by members of the HR team until 5. I assumed I looked like a wreck because I hadn’t slept soundly in two days, I was still in the clothes that I left in, hadn’t showered or shaved and didn’t exactly smell like a flower. I sat in a conference room while TaeguTec employees came in, entered into some small talk (the same exact conversation with each one...name, where are you from, do you like Korean food, are you tired, blah blah) and then left. During the breaks I would lay my head on the table and count the minutes until I could go home. Finally at 5 o’clock I went to dinner and then caught my bus home. As soon as I got up to my room I took my clothes off, started unpacking my bags but basically just threw stuff everywhere, turned off the lights and passed out until morning. It was awesome. I had never been so relieved to go to sleep in my entire life.


1 comment:

The ORR Family said...

your poor hotel. You are precious. Loving the pics, but still hard to imagine it all. keep it up Totti