Today I got to enjoy family time, run errands (I really like that), and sunshine at 7 peaks, but that's not what makes a Wednesday so perfect.
I got to spend some time with my Grandpa Keith today. He's in an assisted living center right by Spencer's house. Wednesdays are my day off (because weddings are always all weekend), so this morning I went to visit my cute grandpa after leaving Spencer's family. He was sleeping when I got there and I didn't want to wake him (duh Rachel, he's always sleeping, he's 93), but a sweet nurse came in and got him up and going for me. (Thank goodness for sweethearted CPA's and nurses who take care of our adorable elderly family members. I was grateful to see he was in good hands.)
I spent the next hour sitting on his bed right next to him, holding his fragile hand, and talking to him about whatever things in life he could remember. He told me he felt we had a really good family and that he was glad about that. He told me his birthdate without hesitation and about his tennis playing days. He gave me kisses on the cheek. I got to be SO close to him for that hour. I think closer than I ever have. Just me and him. With his hand so tight around mine.
He'd doze in and out of conversation but always with a smile on his face. When he would wake up 2 minutes later I'd be right there smiling at him and he would make some cute comment like "Well, how did I get so lucky",
Me- "Oh grandpa you can go back to sleep"
Gpa- "If I do that then I don't get to look at such a pretty lady."
Me- "I'll be here when you wake up if you'd like to stare."
Gpa- "Yep, I'd like that. Oh dear, how'd I get so lucky?"
How did I get so lucky? To have such and adorably witty grandpa who is so kind and sweet to me. I think I love to be around him the most because I see how much my family gets from him. I see my dad in him. I love my dad. It's better than good to see my dad in anyone.
It makes me so happy.
After feeding him some lunch, singing some songs to/with him, and talking about kangaroos on his mission I let him solidify his sleep. But when I tried to stand up to leave, he squeezed my hand he'd been holding for an hour and a half and said, "Dear, I want you to know that I love. I really love you."
And that's why Wednesdays are so perfect.
1 comment:
Rach, this post made me cry. What a sweet granddaughter. I'm sure that meant the world to him. What a precious moment! Xoxo.
Post a Comment