Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"It Is Better to Look Up"

This month's visiting teaching message was your choice of a General Conference talk. It's funny how when that Ensign comes out I read it almost like I only really remember a couple of the talks. Which is actually nice because then I feel like I'm learning all over again. When I looked over the titles the one I wanted to share stuck right out to me.

"It Is Better to Look Up" by Carl B. Cook
(Please click this link and read...It's better than what I have to say :))

I don't normally share these kind of things besides at visiting teaching, but this message was so perfect for me and I felt like others might feel the same. It's so simple and easy to understand and it's a concept I think about and struggle with everyday.

"Why is it a challenge to consistently look up in our lives? Perhaps we lack the faith that such a simple act can solve our problems." 
I think this every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed. Why is this such a chore to me sometimes? It's as the children of Israel who were told that if they looked at the serpent, they would live and be saved.  Those who didn't would be turned to dust, and yet some people still did not put forth the effort. The effort to look up.

Elder Cook says:
"Experience has taught me that if we, like President Monson, exercise our faith and look to God for help, we will not be overwhelmed with the burdens of life. We will not feel incapable of doing what we are called to do or need to do. We will be strengthened, and our lives will be filled with peace and joy.3 We will come to realize that most of what we worry about is not of eternal significance—and if it is, the Lord will help us. But we must have the faith to look up and the courage to follow His direction."
So something that might take time to make an effort, actually makes life easier.

The talk says it all. We need to look up- to our prophet, to our savior, to a better/more meaningful/easier life. And even if you have no religion, it' still better to look up. To a positive, optimistic, more "can-do" attitude that ultimately will lead us all to a brighter and happier life.

The last reason I loved it was the meaning that I want to connect it to my Christmas season this year. It's my favorite holiday. I embrace every single part of it all season long. But I know I can focus more on my Savior and celebrate Him in all his perfection, by alway's looking up.

No comments: